Below are some questions to ask when buying a home … if you think there is some that could be added to the list below, please in under the comment section.
1. If you decide to work with an agent, will the agent help you compose your offer to purchase a home? If not, who does help?
2. If the agent uses fill-in-the-blank forms, ask for a blank sample copy to take home and study.
What types of disclosures are sellers in your area required to give to buyers? Can the agent give you a sample copy of typical disclosures?
3. What types of home inspections are standard in your area? Are there other inspections that the agent recommends?
– How much do the inspections usually cost? Are they regarded as a buyer expense?
– When are inspections done?
4. Is a survey required for most transactions? If so, who typically pays for it, the buyer or the seller?
5. Who does the title search to verify that the deed is problem free, attorneys or a title company? What’s the average cost for that service?
6. Who acts as settlement agent, the person who puts together final paperwork for you to sign? (attorney, title company personnel, real estate broker, other)?
7. Other than loan costs, what’s the average total cost for other closing fees?
– Taxes, settlement agent fees, etc.
8. How long does it usually take to close on a home once an offer is accepted?
That’s a good start. After you have the answers to those questions, you’ll have a better feeling for the basic customs in your area.